Headley wins it in 14th inning of Yankees debut (Yahoo Sports)
- Chase Headley came through with a storybook swing at the stroke of midnight in his Yankees debut, hitting a game-winning single in the 14th inning to give New York a 2-1 victory over the Texas Rangers on Tuesday night. Derek Jeter broke Lou Gehrig's franchise record for doubles, and the Yankees won an unlikely pitching duel after both rookie starters entered with a 5.10 ERA. J.P. Arencibia snapped a scoreless tie with a leadoff homer in the 13th against New York reliever David Huff, but the Yankees responded with Brett Gardner's leadoff double and Jacoby Ellsbury's tying single off closer Joakim Soria in the bottom half.
Rays win 6th straight, 7-2 over Cardinals (Yahoo Sports)
- Jake Odorizzi allowed two runs over 5 2-3 innings and Yunel Escobar highlighted a five-run fifth inning with a two-run double to lead the Tampa Bay Rays to a 7-2 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday night. It was the Rays' season-high sixth straight win. St. Louis ace Adam Wainwright, making his first appearance since starting for the NL in the All-Star game, gave up six runs, four earned, in 4 2-3 innings. Wainwright (12-5) was trying to become the first 13-game winner in the NL.
Lucroy hits walkoff homer to give Brewers 4-3 win (Yahoo Sports)
- Jonathan Lucroy homered leading off the bottom of the ninth to give the Milwaukee Brewers a 4-3 victory over the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday night. It was Lucroy's second homer of the game and 11th of the season. It was his second career walkoff homer and both were against the Reds. His first was last season off closer Aroldis Chapman and this one was off Sam LeCure.
CEO: Clippers coach to quit if Sterling stays (Yahoo Sports)
- The interim CEO of the Los Angeles Clippers testified Tuesday that coach Doc Rivers told him he will quit if Donald Sterling remains the owner of the team. CEO Richard Parsons testified at a trial to determine whether Sterling's wife, Shelly, can sell the team for $2 billion to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer as the NBA looks to force Donald Sterling from the league over racist statements. ''If Mr. Sterling continues as owner, he does not want to continue as coach.'' Parsons said he fears there would also be an exodus of key players, including team captain Chris Paul, who heads the NBA players union.
Polanco, Walker lift Pirates over Dodgers 12-7 (Yahoo Sports)
- Gregory Polanco broke out of a slump with a solo home run and a tiebreaking two-run single, lifting the Pittsburgh Pirates to a 12-7 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night. Polanco, hitting just .133 in his previous 11 games, smacked a bases-loaded single with two outs in the sixth to put Pittsburgh in front for good. Neil Walker went 2 for 4 with his 15th homer and three RBIs. Ike Davis finished with three hits, including his sixth home run.
Clippers' Sterling targets wife, NBA in new suit (Yahoo Sports)
- Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has filed a new lawsuit in his attempt to retain the team and derail a potential $2 billion sale. The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court names estranged wife Shelly Sterling, the NBA and Commissioner Adam Silver, saying they committed fraud and violated corporate law in their attempt to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. They include Sterling's assertion that he's the team's sole owner, that his wife deceived him in persuading him to get mental examinations and that the NBA and Ballmer colluded to deprive him of his rights as owner.
Yankees acquire 3B Chase Headley from Padres (Yahoo Sports)
- Trying to boost one of the weakest lineups in the American League, the New York Yankees acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the San Diego Padres on Tuesday for rookie infielder Yangervis Solarte and minor league pitcher Rafael De Paula. Headley was on his way to Yankee Stadium, but was not expected to arrive until just after the scheduled start of New York's game against Texas. The Yankees hoped to have him in uniform by about 7:30 p.m. and available off the bench. After that, he'll become the everyday starter at a spot that's been a question mark for New York all year following the season-long suspension of Alex Rodriguez.
Selig still waiting on Tommy John report (Yahoo Sports)
- PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Baseball commissioner Bud Selig is ''anxious'' to look at the recommendations of a team of top orthopedists who are studying the uptick in elbow injuries among pitchers.
Glasgow set for opening ceremony
- Athletes from 71 nations will compete in the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, which get under way with the opening ceremony on Wednesday.
Man City U21s walk off in racism row
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA