To place a bet, all you have to do is go to a sportsbook in the United States or bookmaker in the UK. These are places that accept sports bets. In the United States, there are four states where you can do sports betting legally, Nevada, Oregon, Delaware, and Montana. In many European nations, bookmaking – the profession of accepting sports wagers, is almost everywhere well regulated and not criminalised. Lines of the sports you can bet on are football, golf, professional and college american football and basketball, professional baseball, professional hockey, boxing, car, horse and dog racing. You can actually bet on anything that involves sports, we are talking about sports gambling after all. You can bet on the overall combined score of a football game, on what round will the opponent be knocked out in a boxing match, and even whether a candidate will win a political election. You can even bet on the end of the world. Unfortunately neither you or the bookie will be there to withdraw or pay the win. In sports betting, all you have to do is basically place a bet depending on the chances of winning/losing you give according to your own views and analysis.
In sports betting, bookies rely on statistics to make the odds of the matches. Also sometimes, especially in America, you will find a thing called “spread,” that is a number of points given as an advantage to the weaker team that is expected to lose. In this way the odds maker’s can make the odds as even as possible for the two opponents. Thus if you bet on a team that is expected to lose you can still win the bet if the team loses by a given number of points that is less than the spread.
In sports betting, you can find a wide range of different types of bets, among others:
– straight bets, certainly the most common kinds of bet. All you have to do is to select the team which you think will lose or win;
– parlays, combined bets on several games;
– teasers, similar to parlays, but you can add or subtract points from the spread to make your bets stronger;
– over/unders, wagers on the combined number of points scored in the game by both teams.
The types of bets reflect the ability of the punter. The most advanced bettor can certainly do the sports wagering activity more interesting and challenging according to the difficulty level of the bets that he places.
That’s it – these are the very basics of sports betting. Just remember, always keep the right balance and don’t go mad if you lose a bet. Betting only what you can afford to lose is the very first principle all your betting activity should be founded on.
We would like to use this section of our website to talk about sports betting and answer your questions. Here you can exchange your views and share your opinions on one of the most controversial activities in the world.
We start with a couple of your most asked questions
Are online sportsbooks safe and secure?
Both possible answers may be given to this. The vast majority of online sportsbooks are indeed completely legitimate, but, unfortunately, there are also some that will literally just steal your money right out of your wallet.
So how does one ensure safety?
Be smart! It is the first line of defensive action you can take. Here are three quick tips to help reduce the likelihood of being ripped off.
1. Check deposit methods and allowed amounts. Choose bookies offering a wide range of deposit methods and allowing small deposits.
2. Check references out. Visit you preferred search engine and look for references and complaints.
3. Check licensing. Never play at any gambling venue that is not licensed and even when they say they are double check that it is actually true.