Scottish independence and sport
- An analysis of how sport might be affected should Scotland vote for independence in Thursday's referendum.
Man Utd 'can't afford Bayern players'
- Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola says Manchester United could not afford to lure players away from the Allianz Arena.
Peterson suspended by Vikings
- Minnesota Vikings suspend Adrian Peterson from all team activities while facing charges of allegedly hitting his child.
Vikings bar Peterson from all team activities (Yahoo Sports)
- After a day of public pressure from angry fans and concerned sponsors, the Minnesota Vikings have reversed course and placed star running back Adrian Peterson on the exempt-commissioner's permission list, a move that will require him to stay away from the team while he addresses child abuse charges in Texas. The Vikings made the announcement early Wednesday morning, about a day and a half after initially deciding that Peterson could play with the team while the legal process played out. Peterson is charged with a felony for using a wooden switch to spank his 4-year-old son and now could miss the rest of the season while the case proceeds through the court system. The Vikings came under heavy criticism for their initial stance.
Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list (Yahoo Sports)
- The Minnesota Vikings have placed star running back Adrian Peterson on the exempt-commissioner's permission list, a move that will require him to stay away from the team while he addresses child abuse charges. The Vikings made the announcement early Wednesday morning after initially deciding that Peterson could play with the team while the legal process played out. Peterson is charged with a felony for using a wooden switch to spank his 4-year-old son. The Vikings came under heavy criticism for their initial stance.
Mariners rout Angels, gain ground in playoff race (Yahoo Sports)
- Mike Zunino's two-run double keyed a four-run fifth inning and the Seattle Mariners climbed within a game of the second AL wild-card spot by routing the Los Angeles Angels 13-2 on Tuesday night. The Mariners haven't been to the postseason since 2001, when they won 116 games under manager Lou Piniella and tied the major league mark set by the 1906 Chicago Cubs. One night after becoming the first team in the majors to secure a playoff trip, the Angels lost for only the fourth time in 21 games. The Athletics still lead the wild-card race by a game over Kansas City, which has a one-game edge on the Mariners for the final postseason berth in the AL.
'Reds back where they once belonged'
'Liverpool get back to where they once belonged'
- After five years of "pain", five-time winners Liverpool relish a victorious return to the Champions League.
Arrieta takes no-hitter into 8th, Cubs blank Reds (Yahoo Sports)
- CHICAGO (AP) -- Jake Arrieta took a no-hit bid into the eighth inning before giving up Brandon Phillips' one-out double, the only blemish for the Chicago Cubs pitcher in a 7-0 shutout of the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday night.
Orioles clinch AL East with 8-2 win over Blue Jays (Yahoo Sports)
- The Baltimore Orioles won their first AL East crown since 1997, using home runs by Steve Pearce and Jimmy Paredes to beat the Toronto Blue Jays 8-2 Tuesday night before a boisterous crowd of 35,297 at Camden Yards. With their ninth win in 10 games, the Orioles clinched their second playoff appearance in three years following a run of 14 consecutive losing seasons. Afterward, the Orioles converged behind second base, fireworks soared in the outfield and streamers sprayed throughout the crowd. It was Baltimore's ninth AL East title and only its second since 1983, when the Orioles last won the World Series.
Early Doors - Soccer
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA
No news found