Maria Sharapova comes through in 3 sets at US Open (Yahoo Sports)
- A year ago at this time, Maria Sharapova was sitting out the U.S. On Wednesday, Sharapova found herself down by a set and facing a break point early in the second at Flushing Meadows, bothered by the whipping wind, her own off-target strokes and an opponent who wasn't backing down. As dusk fell and the Arthur Ashe Stadium lights came on, Sharapova came through the way she so often does in the crucible of a third set, beating 95th-ranked Alexandra Dulgheru of Romania 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the second round of the Grand Slam tournament she won in 2006 but has missed twice in the past six years. ''Overall I felt like in the end I was in much better shape than she was, and I could have played another few sets,'' Sharapova said.
Price allows 9 straight hits against Yankees (Yahoo Sports)
- DETROIT (AP) -- Tigers star David Price allowed nine consecutive hits to the New York Yankees in the third inning before being pulled Wednesday night, a stunning outing for the left-hander who had thrown a one-hitter in his previous start.
Olivier Giroud out 4 months following leg surgery (Yahoo Sports)
- LONDON (AP) -- Arsenal forward Olivier Giroud will be sidelined for about four months after surgery to repair a broken left leg.
Sharapova rallies to outlast Dulgheru at US Open (Yahoo Sports)
- Maria Sharapova's serve and her groundstrokes were abandoning her. The five-time major champion rallied from a set down to beat 95th-ranked Alexandra Dulgheru 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the second round of the U.S. Sharapova overcame nine double-faults and 46 unforced errors to improve her record in three-set matches this year to 17-6. On a hot, windy day, with the shadows shifting as late afternoon turned to evening, the fifth-seeded Sharapova avoided another upset on the women's side.
USC's Shaw admits to lying about injuries, rescue (Yahoo Sports)
- Southern California cornerback Josh Shaw has admitted to lying to school officials about how he sprained his ankles last weekend, retracting his story about jumping off a balcony to save his drowning nephew. Shaw has been suspended indefinitely from all of the Trojans' team activities after acknowledging his heroic tale was ''a complete fabrication,'' the school announced in a statement Wednesday. The school didn't explain how Shaw actually was injured, but USC officials say they regret posting a story on their website Monday lauding Shaw's story about a second-story jump onto concrete to rescue his 7-year-old nephew. ''We are extremely disappointed in Josh,'' USC coach Steve Sarkisian said.
Fedora: No. 23 UNC suspends 4 players for opener (Yahoo Sports)
- North Carolina coach Larry Fedora says the team has suspended four players for this weekend's season opener, a day after a report of an alleged hazing altercation that left a walk-on receiver with a possible concussion. The players suspended were sophomores Des Lawrence and Brian Walker, redshirt freshman Donnie Miles and true freshman M.J. Stewart. North Carolina has said it is conducting an investigation of what it described as an incident involving members of the team.
Royals' Yost implores fans to show up to games (Yahoo Sports)
- Royals manager Ned Yost pleaded with fans on Wednesday to show up for their remaining home games, one night after Alex Gordon's walk-off homer gave Kansas City a dramatic win over Minnesota that was seen by just 13,847 at Kauffman Stadium. ''You go back and talk to people about the '85 year when they won the World Series, they remember that, and they've been longing for that, and it's been a long time ago.
Defender scores and saves in shootout win
- Defender Cosmin Moti saves two penalties in a shootout to send Bulgarian club Ludogorets into the Champions League group stage.
NHL says it is only discussing expanding league (Yahoo Sports)
- The NHL insists expansion is not imminent.
Giroud ruled out until new year
- Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud will be out for up to four months after having surgery on a broken leg.
Jim White - Soccer
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA
No news found