FIFA president Joseph S. Blatter makes a gesture during the 65th FIFA Congress held at the Hallenstadion in Zurich, Switzerland, Friday, May 29, 2015 where he runs for re-election as FIFA head. (Patrick B. Kraemer/Keystone via AP)

5:42 p.m. EDT) Former FIFA presidential candidate Luis Figo slammed Sepp Blatter's leadership again after his re-election on Friday and said the Swiss official ''can't remain in charge of world football.'' Figo dropped out of the race this month, denouncing FIFA as a dictatorship. After this week's arrests of senior FIFA officials, Figo said ''football is not guilty but is the governing body's leaders, who should regulate it, that have no integrity or honesty.'' The former Portugal great says ''Mr. Blatter knew and was aware of the acts of corruption, influence and racketeering or, if he did not know - as he says - it's because he has no skills to lead FIFA.


Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:53 pm
Sepp Blatter says he knows how to create a better image for FIFA and promises to unveil surprising plans on the first working day of his fifth term as president. Buoyant after being re-elected at the Congress of soccer's ruling body on Friday, the 79-year-old Swiss told FIFA TV he would have time to work on his plans after the "tragic events" involving officials at his organisation earlier this week.
Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:35 pm
By Steve Ginsburg WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The head of U.S. Soccer said he was "disappointed" that Sepp Blatter was re-elected on Friday as president of FIFA but added he would continue to seek "meaningful change" within the embattled organization. Blatter, 79, secured a fifth term after Jordan's Prince Ali bin Al Hussein conceded defeat in the vote at the annual congress of world soccer's governing body in Zurich. "While we are disappointed in the result of the election, we will continue to push for meaningful change within FIFA," U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati said in a statement.
Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:35 pm

FIFA President Sepp Blatter gestures after he was re-elected at the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland, May 29, 2015.    REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

By Mike Collett and Brian Homewood ZURICH (Reuters) - Sepp Blatter was re-elected president of FIFA for a fifth term on Friday after his only challenger conceded defeat in an election overshadowed by allegations of rampant corruption in world soccer. Blatter's victory came despite demands that he quit in the face of a major bribery scandal being investigated by U.S., Swiss and other law enforcement agencies that plunged soccer's governing body into the worst crisis in its 111-year history. Neither Blatter nor Jordanian opponent Prince Ali bin Al Hussein got the necessary two thirds of the ballot in the first round, with Blatter securing 133 votes against 73 for Prince Ali.


Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:15 pm
Europe's top soccer officials have vowed not to give up their fight to reform FIFA despite failing in their bid to oust Sepp Blatter as president of the sport's world governing body. UEFA president Michel Platini, one of the driving forces behind Europe's push to get rid of Blatter, said he was disappointed that Jordan's Prince Ali bin Al Hussein failed to win Friday's election in Zurich.
Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

FIFA President Sepp Blatter reacts after he was re-elected at the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland, May 29, 2015.    REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

As Sepp Blatter was re-elected FIFA president on Friday he made almost exactly the same speech he did in 2011 about the need to pull together and root out corruption. Not only has FIFA failed to change its scandal-plagued image, it faces an even bigger credibility crisis after United States prosecutors unveiled the gory details of alleged corruption in soccer, some involving top FIFA officials. To complicate matters FIFA is also showing the first signs of a dangerous split in its ranks.


Posted: May 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

FILE - This is a Wednesday, July 4, 2012 file photo of President of the South American Football Confederation, CONMEBOL, and former FIFA executive member, Paraguay's Nicolas Leoz as he speaks with former Brazilian soccer player Pele during a news conference in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Leoz was one of the 14 people indicted Wednesday May 27, 2015 in the U.S. on corruption charges. (AP Photo/Andre Penner, File)

Within hours of the FIFA scandal breaking, Sergio Jadue, the president of Chile's soccer federation, was declaring his innocence even though he wasn't formally accused of anything. Jadue was referring to a part of Wednesday's sweeping U.S. Justice Department indictments that, without specifying them by name, said the 10 presidents of the South American Football Confederation were to receive bribes from a company called Datisa in exchange for transmission rights to games of the Copa America, the tournament of the continent's national teams. Jadue said $1.5 million was indeed transferred in late 2013 from the confederation, known as CONMEBOL, but it was an advance on a contract for Copa America.


Posted: May 29, 2015, 8:54 pm
The Montreal Impact are returning to where their 24-game MLS road winless streak began nearly two years ago. Former Chicago Fire coach Frank Klopas and defender Bakary Soumare make their latest returns to Toyota Park, where the Impact look to win for the first time in five tries Saturday night. Montreal (2-3-2) is 0-17-7 in league regular-season road games since a 4-2 victory at New England on Sept. 13, 2013.
Posted: May 29, 2015, 8:53 pm

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


− four = 5

Looking for older news? Search in the archive