|Site menu||Motor Sports: CART||Resources|
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
All Blogs - Shutdown Corner - NFL - Big League Stew - MLB - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Puck Daddy - NHL - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - The Dagger - NCAAB - From the Marbles - NASCAR - Devil Ball Golf - Golf - Roto Arcade - Fantasy - Cagewriter - MMA
|Indy 500 qualifying to be 3 rounds over 2 days (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: March 7, 2014, 8:51 am]
The new qualifying format for the Indianapolis 500 will include three rounds over two days, with the pole-winner emerging from a ''Fast Nine Shootout'' on what used to be Bump Day. IndyCar officials also said Friday there will be points incentives that have yet to be announced. Qualifying for the Indy 500 this year will begin on May 17 when the fastest 33 cars are locked into the field. The Indy 500 has had four-lap qualifying runs since 1939.
British driver hired to drive for Herta's team (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: March 5, 2014, 12:23 pm]
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- British driver Jack Hawksworth has been hired to drive the No. 98 car for Bryan Herta Autosport this season. The IndyCar team made the announcement Wednesday.
Servia to run at least 4 races in 2nd Rahal car (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: March 5, 2014, 6:57 am]
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing will field a second IndyCar entry for Oriol Servia this season in at least four races, more if sponsorship can be secured. Servia is currently scheduled to compete at Long Beach, Barber, the inaugural road course race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500 in a deal announced Tuesday. The Rahal organization last month finished a drawn-out process to secure sponsorship from the National Guard for Graham Rahal's car. Team owner Bobby Rahal has insisted he would only field two cars if it would strengthen the organization, and Graham Rahal said he told his dad he didn't want to ''rob Peter to pay Paul'' just to have a teammate.
US racer to attempt Indy 500-NASCAR double (AFP) [Yahoo! Sports: March 4, 2014, 12:12 pm]
US stock car racer Kurt Busch was named Tuesday to drive in the Indianapolis 500, giving him a chance to become the fourth driver to complete a unique one-day double. The 2004 champion of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) will become the fifth driver for team owner Michael Andretti at the historic 2.5-mile (4km) Indy oval on the afternoon of May 25. Then the 35-year-old American will take an airplane ride to Charlotte, North Carolina, and return to his regular car in time for the Coca-Cola 600 stock car race that night, the green flag flying only six hours after the Indy 500 begins.
Kurt Busch to try Indy 500-Coca Cola 600 double (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: March 4, 2014, 6:23 am]
Kurt Busch and Andretti Autosport announced Tuesday that he will try to become the first driver in 10 years to run the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. Busch, the 2004 NASCAR champion, will try to qualify for the Indy 500 in a fifth car for Andretti. Should he make the May 25 race, Busch will then fly to Charlotte Motor Speedway to fulfill his full-time job with Stewart-Haas Racing in NASCAR's longest event of the year. ''Memorial Day weekend, the central focus of all motorsports is Monaco, Indianapolis and Charlotte and this is a tremendous opportunity to be right in the middle of it.'' Only John Andretti, Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon have attempted the grueling, 1,100-mile ''double,'' and no driver has tried since Gordon in 2004.
Panther sues IndyCar, Rahal over sponsorship (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 28, 2014, 3:43 pm]
Panther Racing has filed a lawsuit against Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, IndyCar and others alleging it lost a $17.2 million sponsorship with the Army National Guard because of bid-rigging and other improprieties. The lawsuit filed Feb. 19 in Marion County Court in Indianapolis follows a ruling in January by the U.S. Government Accountability Office denying Panther's appeal of moving the National Guard sponsorship to Graham Rahal's car for the upcoming IndyCar season. Rahal racing officials said in a statement Friday that Panther is raising many of the same issues it raised with the GAO.
Villeneuve returning to IndyCar for May's 500 (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 26, 2014, 4:12 pm]
Jacques Villeneuve is ready to make an IndyCar comeback. Schmidt Peterson Motorsports said Wednesday it has hired Villeneuve to race in this year's Indianapolis 500, 19 years after the Canadian driver first drank the milk in Victory Lane. ''IndyCar is growing again and that's why last year when I started watching races again, every time I watched I felt almost angry I wasn't there,'' the 1995 race winner said on a satellite hookup from France during a news conference held at the team's Indy headquarters. At age 42, Villeneuve seemed content being a television analyst, musician and RallyCross driver.
Ex-F1 racer Villeneuve back to Indy at 42 (AFP) [Yahoo! Sports: February 26, 2014, 4:10 pm]
Former Formula One and IndyCar champion Jacques Villeneuve will attempt a comeback at this year's Indianapolis 500 at the age of 42, race team co-owners San Schmidt and Ric Peterson said Wednesday. The Canadian driver was the 1994 IndyCar Rookie of the Year and 1995 Indy 500 winner and IndyCar season champion, setting the stage for a successful F1 career that saw him win the 1997 world championship a year after he was runner-up to Britain's Damon Hill. "I've been fortunate enough to compete in several of the world's top racing series and nothing excites me more than entering the IndyCar Series at its current level of competitiveness," Villeneueve said. "To have the opportunity to return to IndyCar racing and the Indianapolis 500 is something I never thought possible.
Villeneuve returning to IndyCars for May's 500 (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 26, 2014, 12:52 pm]
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Jacques Villeneuve will finally get a chance to win a second Indianapolis 500.
5 things to know about IndyCar Series media day (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 18, 2014, 2:05 pm]
Five things to know about what went on at IndyCar Series media day in advance of the season-opening March 30 race at St. Petersburg, Fla. ---- CHAMP IS HERE: Scott Dixon wants to drive with his regular No. 9 this year rather than switch to the traditional champions' No. 1. Either way, Dixon enters as the defending series champion as he chases a fourth championship in 2014. One change is for sure at Chip Ganassi Racing, he won't have recently retired teammate Dario Franchitti to push him on the track. Tony Kanaan filled the spot to round out an organization that also includes Ryan Briscoe and Charlie Kimball.
Montoya's return to IndyCar slowly coming along (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 18, 2014, 12:46 pm]
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Juan Pablo Montoya took a job in IndyCar with Roger Penske because he wanted to win races again.
Bestwick named Indianapolis 500 announcer (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 18, 2014, 9:07 am]
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Allen Bestwick has agreed to a multi-year deal with ESPN and will become the lap-by-lap announcer for the network's coverage of the IndyCar Series.
Michael Andretti's wife gives birth to twins (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 13, 2014, 10:56 am]
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Race car team owner Michael Andretti's wife has given birth to twins.
KV to field 2nd car for Sebastian Saavedra (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 12, 2014, 11:03 am]
KV Racing announced a partnership Wednesday with AFS Racing that will enable the team to field an IndyCar team for Sebastian Saavedra. Saavedra will drive the No. 17 KV AFS Racing Chevrolet. He will be teammates with Sebastien Bourdais, who will drive an entry fielded solely by KV-SH Racing. Bourdais and Saavedra were teammates last season at Dragon Racing.
England keep 1st XV under wraps (AFP) [Yahoo! Sports: February 11, 2014, 12:47 pm]
England opted against releasing any of the side that started last weekend's crushing Calcutta Cup win for Premiership duty but those on the bench at Murrayfield will get a chance to shine for their clubs this weekend. Stuart Lancaster's side got their Six Nations title bid back on track with a dominant 20-0 win over Scotland in Edinburgh on Saturday -- the first time they'd 'nilled' their oldest rivals since 1978. That left England with a tournament record of played two, won one and lost one after their agonising 26-24 loss to France in Paris. Table-toppers Ireland are next on the agenda when England, in their first home match of this season's edition, resume their Six Nations campaign at Twickenham on February 22.
Verizon Wireless to sponsor 8 of Montoya's races (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 10, 2014, 6:04 am]
Roger Penske wasn't worried about finding a sponsor for Juan Pablo Montoya when he signed him, believing there would be interest in the Colombian's return to open wheel racing. And if nothing materialized, Penske was prepared to pay for Montoya's IndyCar season out of his own pocket. Penske now has the funding lined up for at least eight of the 17 races through longtime partner Verizon Wireless. The company announced Monday an expanded partnership with Team Penske that adds Montoya's eight races.
Wales coach Gatland offers up no excuses for Six Nations debacle (AFP) [Yahoo! Sports: February 8, 2014, 7:13 pm]
Wales coach Warren Gatland admitted he had no excuses after watching Ireland maul the two-time defending Six Nations champions at Lansdowne Road. The visitors suffered their worst tournament defeat since 2006 and took 56 minutes to score, with Leigh Halfpenny's penalty alone helping them avoid a humiliating whitewash in a comprehensive 26-3 loss on Saturday. Defeat dealt a huge, but not fatal, blow to Wales's hopes of becoming the first side to win three successive outright Six Nations titles. Ireland's tactics 'surprised' Gatland, the New Zealand-born coach admitted, but ill discipline and a lack of effectiveness at the breakdown also cost Wales dearly.
Ireland too strong for Wales in Dublin (AFP) [Yahoo! Sports: February 8, 2014, 9:45 am]
Ireland ended Welsh dreams of a record third Six Nations title in a row, with a clinical display in Dublin's Lansdowne Road on Saturday. Warren Gatland's men simply never got close to the hosts, who tactically outmanoeuvred the giants in red, and boasted raw strength and aggression to complete the rout. Ireland have not begun a Six Nations with back-to-back victories since the Grand Slam year of 2009, and this comprehensive result will have them dreaming in Dublin. Jonny Sexton's boot dominated the game, but the performances of Peter O'Mahony, Paul O'Connell, Andrew Trimble and Rob Kearney will give England boss Stuart Lancaster plenty to ponder ahead of the mammoth clash in Twickenham in two week's time.
Kiwi duo clash at Six Nations as O'Driscoll takes centre stage (AFP) [Yahoo! Sports: February 7, 2014, 8:33 pm]
Ireland coach Joe Schmidt admits it is impossible for him to spring any surprises on Wales counterpart Warren Gatland ahead of Saturday's Six Nations showdown at Dublin's Lansdowne Road. The two New Zealand-born coaches have opposed one another over the course of their rugby careers, while Gatland also has vast experience of the Irish game from his time in charge of the country and his spell as boss of the British and Irish Lions. While there may be a lukewarm welcome for Gatland from the Irish fans, following his controversial decision to drop national hero Brian O'Driscoll from the Lions' third and final Test in Australia last year, Schmidt insists he has no special plans for the Welsh visitors.
IndyCar's Rahal gets National Guard as sponsor (The Associated Press) [Yahoo! Sports: February 6, 2014, 10:27 am]
The long battle between Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing and Panther Racing for Army National Guard sponsorship ended Thursday, with the coveted funding moving to Graham Rahal's car for the upcoming IndyCar season. The Rahal organization sought the sponsorship last fall, but Panther Racing appealed to keep the contract it has held since 2008. The U.S. Government Accountability Office denied Panther's appeal last month, and RLL said the guard will be the primary sponsor for Rahal's No. 15 Honda.