Williams fit for US Open after virus
- World number one Serena Williams will be fit to defend her US Open title next month after recovering from a virus.
Worley tosses 4-hitter, Pirates beat Giants 5-0 (Yahoo Sports)
- Vance Worley tossed a four-hitter for his first career shutout, and the Pittsburgh Pirates pounded Madison Bumgarner early in a 5-0 win over the struggling San Francisco Giants on Monday night. Worley (4-1) struck out three and walked one. His only other complete game came in a 7-2 win over the Giants on July 26, 2011, in Philadelphia. Four players drove in a run off Bumgarner (12-8) in the first, and Josh Harrison hit his seventh homer in the second to provide all of Pittsburgh's pop.
Lakers finally confirm Byron Scott is new coach (Yahoo Sports)
- The Los Angeles Lakers confirmed Byron Scott is their new coach Monday night. The Lakers finally made the long-anticipated announcement in a news release. Scott will be introduced at a news conference Tuesday at the Lakers' training complex. Scott told reporters last weekend he had been hired by the Lakers, who have been without a coach since Mike D'Antoni resigned April 30.
Darvish 8 Ks as Rangers beat Jeter, Yankees 4-2 (Yahoo Sports)
- Yu Darvish struck out eight in seven innings for his 10th victory and J.P. Arencibia had a tiebreaking two-run single for the Texas Rangers in a 4-2 victory over the New York Yankees on Monday night. Brett Gardner homered twice and Derek Jeter had three hits - to pass Carl Yastrzemski on the hits list - off the All-Star right-hander, who threw 80 of his 108 pitches for strikes five days after losing a rain-shortened game in New York. Neal Cotts worked a scoreless eighth for Texas. Neftali Feliz then was perfect in the ninth for his second save in two chances since taking back the closer role last week after Joakim Soria was traded.
Cabrera, Dickey lead Blue Jays over Red Sox 14-1 (Yahoo Sports)
- Melky Cabrera homered from both sides of the plate and drove in five runs, R.A. Dickey pithed three-hit ball for seven innings and the Toronto Blue Jays romped past the Boston Red Sox 14-1 on Monday night. The Blue Jays won for the sixth time in seven games while the Red Sox lost one day after stopping a five-game slide that began in Toronto with three losses. Cabrera homered into Boston's bullpen in right field after Jose Reyes led off the game with a walk. Ryan Goins had four hits and four RBIs for Toronto.
Rose returns as US basketball team opens camp (Yahoo Sports)
- Derrick Rose says he feels old. ''I was joking with Kyle Korver, I told him 'I'm getting old, man. I've got to stretch, I've got to use rollers and stuff.' He looked at me kind of weird,'' Rose said laughingly. I think I've sacrificed a lot for this moment.'' Rose, the Chicago Bulls star who is coming off two knee injuries that kept him out for much of the last two seasons, said he played roughly nine minutes of the team's scrimmage during a two-hour practice.
Van Gaal to bide time over new faces
Dodgers acquire 2B Barney in trade with Cubs (Yahoo Sports)
- LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Los Angeles Dodgers have acquired second baseman Darwin Barney in a trade with the Chicago Cubs.
Iggy Pop & teenagers - the changing face of bowls
- It may not be fast and furious, but bowls is slow, soothing and proving a Commonwealth Games hit down at Kelvingrove.
Rays' Archer: 'Never saw Hank Aaron flip his bat' (Yahoo Sports)
- Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Chris Archer insists he isn't mad at David Ortiz. A day after Ortiz slung his bat and leisurely trotted around the bases following a home run off him, Archer had more thoughts about Big Papi's style. ''I never saw Hank Aaron flip his bat,'' Archer said Monday.
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA
No news found