Pujols hits 497th homer, Angels beat Tigers 11-6 (Yahoo Sports)
- Albert Pujols hit his 497th home run and Howie Kendrick added two of his own to lead the Los Angeles Angels to an 11-6 win over the Detroit Tigers on Friday night. The Angels chased Detroit starter Drew Smyly (1-1) after three innings and then added seven runs off reliever Luke Putkonen. Los Angeles finished with 13 hits, 10 for extra bases. Kendrick hit two-run homers in the third and fourth, and Pujols lined a three-run shot to left field in the sixth to give the Angels an 11-1 lead.
Harang pulled with no-hitter, Braves beat Mets 6-0 (Yahoo Sports)
- Aaron Harang threw no-hit ball for seven innings but was pulled after 121 pitches, and reliever Luis Avilan gave up David Wright's two-out single in the eighth as the Atlanta Braves beat the New York Mets 6-0 Friday night. As Harang's pitch count increased on a chilly evening, it seemed doubtful manager Fredi Gonzalez would let him go the distance. Harang (3-1) left for a pinch hitter during a long, four-run eighth. The Mets hit few balls hard against the resurgent Harang, who lowered his ERA to an NL-best 0.70.
Datsyuk's late goal lifts Detroit over Boston 1-0 (Yahoo Sports)
- Pavel Datsyuk scored at 16:59 of the third period, moments after Jimmy Howard's best save of the game, and the Detroit Red Wings beat the top-seeded Boston Bruins 1-0 in the opener of their Eastern Conference playoff series Friday night. The Bruins won the Presidents' Trophy for the best record in the regular season but were locked in a tight game in which neither team had many solid scoring opportunities. The winning goal came when Datsyuk carried the puck from the right side to the left in Boston's zone and put a 30-footer from near the left circle past goalie Tuukka Rask's left glove. Game 2 of the best-of-seven series, the first playoff matchup between the Original Six teams in 57 years, is set for Sunday night in Boston.
Canadiens top Lightning again for 2-0 series lead (Yahoo Sports)
- TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Rene Bourque had two goals and David Desharnais and Brendan Gallagher also scored Friday night, helping the Montreal Canadiens beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-1 in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.
Source: Memphis G Calathes suspended for 20 games (Yahoo Sports)
- A person familiar with the decision says Memphis Grizzlies point guard Nick Calathes has been suspended for 20 games for violating the NBA's drug policy.
Did Manning's meeting with Saban cross the line? (Yahoo Sports)
- Peyton Manning's never-ending quest to hone his game and Nick Saban's desire to decipher fast-paced offenses led to a recent meeting that the Crimson Tide coach called mutually beneficial. It also might have violated NFL rules because, according to Saban, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase also was in attendance. The league doesn't allow players and their coaches to meet before the start of offseason workouts, which for the Broncos begin Monday. On-field instruction won't start until mid-May. The Associated Press left messages with the team and the NFL on Friday seeking comment.
Ortiz wants to visit Marathon finish line Monday (Yahoo Sports)
- David Ortiz wants to visit the Boston Marathon finish line Monday after the Red Sox are done with their Patriots' Day game against Baltimore. Just more than a year ago, two bombs went off near the finish line, less than a mile from Fenway Park, about an hour after the Red Sox beat the Tampa Bay Rays. ''I'm going to pick out a spot where I can see things, or whatever, because I love to go down there.'' Boston plays the Orioles on Monday in its traditional 11 a.m. Patriots' Day start.
I don't know my best team - Sherwood
- Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood says he has so many players of a similar standard that he is unsure of his best side.
Ortiz want to visit Marathon finish line Monday (Yahoo Sports)
- David Ortiz wants to visit the Boston Marathon finish line Monday after the Red Sox are done with their Patriots' Day game against Baltimore. Just over a year ago, two bombs went off near the finish line, less than a mile from Fenway Park, about an hour after the Red Sox beat the Tampa Bay Rays. ''I'm going to pick out a spot where I can see things, or whatever, because I love to go down there.'' Boston plays the Orioles on Monday in its traditional 11 a.m. Patriots' Day start.
Harlequins 24-20 Leicester
- Harlequins keep their play-off hopes alive as Mike Brown's late try secures a narrow victory over Leicester Tigers.
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA
No news found