Vogelsong stifles Mets in Gaints' 5-1 win (Yahoo Sports)
- Ryan Vogelsong pitched a two-hitter for his second career complete game, Hunter Pence emerged from a deep funk with a triple and three RBIs and the San Francisco Giants beat the New York Mets 5-1 on Friday night for their second straight win after a six-game skid. Vogelsong (6-8) faced 28 batters, one over the limit, allowing Juan Lagares' soft single leading off the sixth and Lucas' Duda's 20th homer to start the eighth. Vogelsong threw 102 pitches in the game that took 2 hours, 6 minutes. Brandon Crawford had a run-scoring single, Matt Duffy an RBI single for his first big league hit and Pence added a two-run triple and RBI groundout off Jonathon Niese (5-7) for San Francisco.
Tour rebuts report Johnson suspended (Yahoo Sports)
- The PGA Tour rebutted a published report Friday that Dustin Johnson has been suspended for failing a drug test. Johnson said in a vague statement issued by his management company that he would take a leave of absence effective immediately to seek professional help for ''personal challenges.'' The announcement Thursday brought an abrupt end to his PGA Tour season, knocking him out of the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup. ''With regards to media reports that Dustin Johnson has been suspended by the PGA Tour, this is to clarify that Mr. Johnson has taken a voluntary leave of absence and is not under a suspension from the PGA Tour,'' the tour's statement said. On Thursday, after Johnson announced his leave of absence, the only statement from the tour was that it had ''nothing to add'' and that it wished him well and looked forward to his return.
Malzahn: Marshall, Mincy won't start vs. Arkansas (Yahoo Sports)
- Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall and cornerback Jonathon Mincy won't start in the Tigers' opener against Arkansas, while starting guard Alex Kozan is out for the season. Coach Gus Malzahn made those announcements Friday after the defending Southeastern Conference champions finished their first practice of preseason camp. He didn't say how long Marshall or Mincy will remain on the bench against the Razorbacks on Aug. 30. ''I've decided that they will not start Game 1 as part of their punishment,'' Malzahn said.
Tour refutes report Johnson suspended (Yahoo Sports)
- AKRON, Ohio (AP) -- The PGA Tour is refuting a report that Dustin Johnson has been suspended.
Sergio Garcia shoots 61 to take Firestone lead (Yahoo Sports)
- Sergio Garcia has tied the course record at Firestone by closing with seven straight birdies for a 9-under 61. The record-tying round Friday gave Garcia a three-shot lead over Justin Rose going into the weekend at the Bridgestone Invitational.
Phillies place Lee on 15-day disabled list (Yahoo Sports)
- WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Philadelphia Phillies placed left-hander Cliff Lee on the 15-day disabled list with an elbow strain Friday and recalled left-hander Cesar Jimenez from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Bolt helps Jamaica reach 4x100m final
Sharp overcomes illness for silver
- An emotional Lynsey Sharp reveals that she was ill overnight before racing to silver in the Commonwealth Games 800m.
Sharp overcomes illness to win silver
- Scot Lynsey Sharp wins silver in the women's 800m - just hours after being on a hospital drip following a bout of sickness.
Lampard set for Man City loan move
- Former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard is set to join Manchester City on a short-term loan deal from New York City FC.
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA
No news found