Posey helps Giants beat Cubs 5-3 in nightcap (Yahoo Sports)
- Buster Posey went 4 for 4 with his 14th homer, leading Madison Bumgarner and the San Francisco Giants to a 5-3 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Thursday night. Pablo Sandoval added three hits and two RBIs as the Giants rebounded from a 2-1 loss earlier in the day in the resumption of their suspended game in the series opener. The long day started with a rain delay of 1 hour, 57 minutes, and then the Cubs and Giants played the final 4 1/2 innings of a game the Cubs thought they had won 2-0 on Tuesday night. The umpires said the field was unplayable and called it at 1:16 a.m. But the Giants protested, and Major League Baseball ruled that the tarp had not been properly put away after its previous use.
Dodgers beat Padres 2-1 behind Kershaw's 10 Ks (Yahoo Sports)
- Clayton Kershaw scattered three hits over eight innings while outdueling Tyson Ross, Justin Turner hit a two-run homer and the first-place Los Angeles Dodgers rallied to beat the San Diego Padres 2-1 Thursday night. Kershaw (15-3) struck out 10 and walked two, tying Johnny Cueto, Wily Peralta and Adam Wainwright for the major league lead in victories. The left-hander was originally scheduled to start Friday, but he was moved up to give Zack Greinke extra rest for his sore elbow.
Angels complete sweep with 2-0 win at Boston (Yahoo Sports)
- BOSTON (AP) -- Rookie Matt Shoemaker didn't allow a hit through 6 2-3 innings and the Los Angeles Angels held on for a 2-0 win over the Boston Red Sox on Thursday, completing a four-game sweep at Fenway Park.
Cubs beat Giants 2-1 in suspended game (Yahoo Sports)
- After two days, the first upheld protest in nearly 30 years and another rain storm, the Chicago Cubs finally completed a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants in a suspended game on Thursday night. Anthony Rizzo's two-run homer Tuesday held up as the team's played the final 4 1/2 innings of a game the Cubs thought they had won 2-0 before Major League Baseball ruled was suspended. The umpires said the field was unplayable and called it at 1:16 a.m. But the Giants protested, and MLB ruled that the tarp had not been properly put away after its previous use. It was the first successful protest in MLB since 1986.
Nats stretch streak to 10 with 1-0 win vs. D-Backs (Yahoo Sports)
- Denard Span scored from second on third baseman Jordan Pacheco's throwing error in the ninth inning, and the Washington Nationals stretched their winning streak to 10 games with a 1-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Thursday. Five of Washington's last six wins have come in its final at-bat of the game, and the streak is tied for the franchise record. Rafael Soriano (4-1) pitched a scoreless ninth for the Nationals, who swept three-game series against the New York Mets and Pittsburgh Pirates before winning all four games of this series. Washington's ninth hit was a one-out single for Span against Oliver Perez (2-3).
Angels' Richards out for season with knee injury (Yahoo Sports)
- The Los Angeles Angels are going to be without Garrett Richards for a playoffs run. One of the AL West leader's top starters sustained a serious knee injury, tearing his left patellar tendon Wednesday against the Boston Red Sox Richards was 13-4 with a 2.61 ERA this year. It's a serious blow to the Angels, who also lost starter Tyler Skaggs to Tommy John surgery earlier this season. General manager Jerry Dipoto said Thursday ''we'll be open'' about finding a deal to replace Richards in the rotation.
Safe standing backed by Lib Dems
- The Liberal Democrats want to change the law and allow Premier League and Championship clubs to introduce safe standing at stadiums.
Lineker: What MOTD means to me
- Player, pundit and presenter: Gary Lineker on 50 years of Match of the Day.
Angels get 2B Beckham from White Sox (Yahoo Sports)
- The Los Angeles Angels have acquired second baseman Gordon Beckham in a trade with the Chicago White Sox. Beckham has struggled offensively this year, but he gives the AL West-leading Angels another sure-handed infielder with six seasons of major league experience. The White Sox, who selected Beckham with the eighth overall pick in the 2008 draft, will receive a player to be named or cash in Thursday's trade. Beckham made his major league debut in 2009 and hit .270 with 14 homers and 63 RBIs in 103 games with the White Sox.
England women qualify for World Cup
- England secure their place at the 2015 Women's World Cup with a resounding win over Wales in Cardiff.
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA
No news found