Tampa Bay beats St. Louis 3-0 behind Cobb (Yahoo Sports)
- Alex Cobb struck out 10 and drove in a run with his first major league hit, leading Tampa Bay to a 3-0 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday night, the Rays' seventh straight win. The Rays have won 25 of their last 36 games and are 13-4 in July. Tampa Bay completed its road trip at 5-0 and its eight-game road winning streak ties the franchise record set twice. The loss was the third straight for the Cardinals.
Chiefs, running back Jamaal Charles reach deal (Yahoo Sports)
- Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles has agreed to a contract extension with the Kansas City Chiefs. The six-year NFL veteran ran for 1,287 yards and 12 touchdowns last year to help the Chiefs reach the playoffs. He also had 70 catches for 693 yards and seven more TDs as Kansas City went 11-5 before losing to Indianapolis in an AFC wild-card game. ''It was important for us to keep him here in Kansas City long-term.'' Charles was expected to take part in the first practice scheduled for Thursday.
Timberwolves weighing options with Kevin Love (Yahoo Sports)
- The Minnesota Timberwolves are weighing their options when it comes to trading All-Star Kevin Love, with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago Bulls both trying to land the versatile forward. Talks have picked up again this week, with the Cavaliers coming off of their long-held resistance to including No. 1 overall draft Andrew Wiggins in an offer and making a trade with Utah on Tuesday to help make an acquisition easier to pull off. Just as the Cavs appeared to be closing in on grabbing Love to pair with LeBron James and Kyrie Irving in a new-look ''Big 3'' in Cleveland, the Bulls appear to be making one last run to try to wrestle him away from their Eastern Conference competitors.
Jerry Jones: Garrett not coaching for job (Yahoo Sports)
- Jerry Jones doesn't like to repeat his good sound bites, so he found a new way to say Jason Garrett isn't coaching for his job. The Dallas Cowboys owner said Wednesday it wasn't a ''make or break'' season for Garrett, a year after opening training camp by declaring that last season wouldn't be ''Armageddon'' for his coach if the once-proud franchise missed the playoffs again. The Cowboys have identical endings to all three full seasons under Garrett, losing to NFC East rivals to finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs.
Colon overpowers Seattle in New York's 3-2 win (Yahoo Sports)
- Bartolo Colon watched the line drive fall into the outfield grass and applauded. It was all Colon could do after his attempt to toss the first perfect game in New York Mets history was thwarted. Colon came within seven outs of a perfect game on Wednesday afternoon, before giving up a two-out single to Robinson Cano in the seventh inning of the Mets' 3-2 win over the Mariners. ''They're trying to get a hit and break up the no-hitter.'' New York manager Terry Collins went one step further than disappointment.
Testimony ends in trial over $2B Clippers sale (Yahoo Sports)
- Testimony ended Wednesday in the trial to determine whether Donald Sterling's estranged wife can sell the Los Angeles Clippers in a proposed $2 billion deal with former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. Shelly Sterling, who had testified early in the trial, was expected to be the final witness, but her husband's lawyers decided not to call her back to the stand. Instead, they called Dr. Jeffrey Cummings to discuss the protocol of examinations such as the ones given to Donald Sterling to determine his mental competency and ability to act as owner. Most of his testimony drew objections from Shelly Sterling's attorneys, and the judge said he didn't see how it would help him reach a decision.
Murray set to keep Mauresmo as coach
- Andy Murray is set to continue working with Amelie Mauresmo after his early Wimbledon exit as she joins his training camp in Miami.
VIDEO: Queen laughs off Glasgow baton hitch
Jamieson and Wiggins eye early golds
- Scotland's Michael Jamieson and England's Sir Bradley Wiggins chase gold medals on day one of the Commonwealth Games.
Commonwealth Games begin in Glasgow
- The 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony takes place at Celtic Park in Glasgow.
- NCAA Baseball
- NCAA Football
- NCAA basketball
- NCAA Women's Basketball
- Motor Sports: CART
- Motor Sports: IRL
- Motor Sports: NASCAR
- Shutdown Corner - NFL
- Big League Stew - MLB
- Ball Don't Lie - NBA
- Puck Daddy - NHL
- Dr. Saturday - NCAAF
- The Dagger - NCAAB
- From the Marbles - NASCAR
- Devil Ball Golf - Golf
- Roto Arcade - Fantasy
- Cagewriter - MMA
No news found