IndyCar is currently standing by its new 2020 start date of 30 May at the Detroit Grand Prix, despite Michigan declaring a state of emergency due to the coronavirus pandemic
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 31, 2020, 5:59 pm
The walk to the starting grid for Tony Kanaan began in his Indianapolis kitchen, through the foyer, past the trophy case, up the stairs, down the hall, through the master bedroom, master bathroom and finally into the closet. Kanaan participated in two virtual races, a legends event won by three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti. Then he joined the first of a six-week series that launched Saturday to give IndyCar fans content during the coronavirus pandemic.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 28, 2020, 9:48 pm
Roger Penske, at 83 and considered high risk for the coronavirus as a 2017 kidney transplant recipient, still makes the daily three-minute commute to his Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, office. Penske has 60,000 employees across the world in an organization in constant flux because of the COVID-19 crisis. The Indianapolis 500 won't be run on Memorial Day weekend for the first time since 1946 after Penske on Thursday postponed one of America's crown jewel sporting events until Aug. 23.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 28, 2020, 8:39 pm
Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson has joined the field for IndyCar's inaugural online race as he contemplates driving in that series following his retirement from full-time stock car racing. IndyCar has followed NASCAR, IMSA and Formula One in setting up a virtual racing series to give fans content during the coronavirus pandemic that brought sports to a halt. IndyCar's first race is Saturday and Johnson is the 26th driver to enter.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 28, 2020, 7:43 pm
IndyCar CEO Mark Miles says he's hopeful that the double-header weekend in Detroit can happen as scheduled on May 29-31 despite the current acceleration of coronavirus cases in the US
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 27, 2020, 10:18 am
When Mario Andretti got the text asking if he would be willing to drive the two-seater at Indianapolis this August, he responded immediately. ''I think it was a great move with the uncertainty, the unknowns, it's just not good so trying to have the 500 in May was extremely risky.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 26, 2020, 11:18 pm
IndyCar isn't sure when it can get its cars on track to officially start the season. IndyCar's first iRacing event will be Saturday with a 25-car field. IndyCar, like all sports, has been idled during the coronavirus pandemic, which hit the United States just as the series was ready to open its season.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:49 pm
The Indianapolis 500 was postponed Thursday until August because of the coronavirus pandemic and won't run on Memorial Day weekend for the first time since 1946. “The month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is my favorite time of year, and like our fans, I am disappointed that we have had to reschedule the Indianapolis 500,” said Roger Penske, the motorsports titan who finalized his purchase of IndyCar and Indianapolis Motor Speedway earlier this year. The Indianapolis 500 began in 1911 but did not run in 1917, 1918 and from 1941-45 because of World Wars I and II. Tony Hulman bought the neglected speedway after the second war and the Indy 500 returned on Memorial Day weekend in 1946.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:45 pm
The 2020 edition of the Indianapolis 500 will now be postponed to August 23, as IndyCar continues to push back events amid the ensuing coronavirus pandemic.
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 26, 2020, 5:35 pm
The Grand Prix Association of Long Beach has confirmed that after exhaustive efforts to reschedule the 46th Acura GP of Long Beach for 2020, it will now not be possible
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 18, 2020, 7:31 pm
The organisers of races at Long Beach are still aiming to find a slot in the IndyCar schedule for 2020, which could also double up as an IMSA round
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 18, 2020, 9:30 am
IndyCar and Indianapolis Motor Speedway are aiming to ensure the 2020 edition of the Indy 500 goes ahead as planned despite current advice from healthcare representatives regarding the coronavirus pandemic
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 16, 2020, 3:57 pm
IndyCar CEO Mark Miles says that the series is focused on being "absolutely ready with the normal schedule" for the Month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 14, 2020, 9:57 am
IndyCar has cancelled the first four rounds of the 2020 season, including this weekend's race at St. Petersburg, as the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 13, 2020, 4:24 pm
The IndyCar Grand Prix of Long Beach will not run as scheduled, due to the City of Long Beach prohibiting all large-scale events through April 30, due to the coronavirus
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 12, 2020, 11:48 pm
General admission for Sunday's IndyCar season-opening Grand Prix of St. Petersburg has been banned due to coronavirus, but the race will go ahead
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 12, 2020, 3:15 pm
A billionaire and ballistic windscreen will be the obvious attention-getters as IndyCar opens its season Sunday on the streets of St. Petersburg. Roger Penske, the winningest car owner in Indianapolis 500 history, in January completed the purchase of Indianapolis Motor Speedway and most of its assets. The new owner of the league, the prestigious 500 and the landmark speedway is armed with a three-car team that includes both defending IndyCar champion Josef Newgarden and defending Indy 500 winner Simon Pagenaud.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 11, 2020, 8:08 pm
The Andretti Autosport trailer carrying Colton Herta's car to the opening round of the 2020 IndyCar Series at St. Petersburg has caught fire in Florida
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 11, 2020, 2:09 pm
Ex-Formula 1 racer Felipe Nasr will join Carlin for Sunday's St. Petersburg IndyCar race, while Conor Daly has been signed to sub for Max Chilton in four oval races
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 10, 2020, 5:21 pm
The CEO of new IndyCar owners Penske Entertainment Mark Miles says he's not expecting the spread of coronavirus to alter the 2020 calendar
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 9, 2020, 3:26 pm
Seven-time NASCAR Cup winner Jimmie Johnson said he's going to do an IndyCar team test with McLaren Racing on April 6. Johnson said Saturday he wasn't sure if the one-day team test in Birmingham, Alabama, would lead to an IndyCar future, but he's intrigued by the ''totally different environment'' of open-wheel racing. ''More than anything I'm just thankful that McLaren and the friendship I have there with (CEO) Zak Brown, where he's like: 'Hey, man, come give it a shot.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: March 7, 2020, 9:07 pm
Seven-time NASCAR Cup champion Jimmie Johnson will make his IndyCar debut at Barber Motorsports Park next month in a test with Arrow-McLaren
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 4, 2020, 9:45 pm
Fernando Alonso's decision to contest the Indianapolis 500 with Arrow-McLaren SP instead of Andretti Autosport was driven by his "loyalty" to his former Formula 1 team McLaren
Author: Autosport
Posted: March 2, 2020, 4:33 pm
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing will partner with Citrone/Buhl Autosport to give Spencer Pigot IndyCar lifeline entries in the Indianapolis road race and the Indianapolis 500
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 27, 2020, 5:25 pm
McLaren CEO Zak Brown has admitted that Fernando Alonso's return with Arrow McLaren SP for this year's Indianapolis 500 came about after his negotiations with Andretti Autosport broke down
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 26, 2020, 9:17 am
Fernando Alonso will again attempt to complete motorsports' Triple Crown with a return to the Indianapolis 500 in May with McLaren. The team failed to qualify Alonso for the race last season in a spectacular comedy of errors, including not having its car properly prepared to put the two-time Formula One champion in the field. ''We beat ourselves,'' McLaren CEO Zak Brown said Tuesday.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: February 25, 2020, 7:23 pm
Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso will contest the Indianapolis 500 for a third time with the Arrow McLaren SP IndyCar outfit
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 25, 2020, 7:17 pm
IndyCar will reintroduce grid penalties for unapproved engine changes this season for the first time since 2013
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 25, 2020, 2:40 pm
Two-time IRL race-winner Robbie Buhl is part of a new IndyCar Series team, Citrone/Buhl Autosport, that aims to contest this year's Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the Indianapolis 500
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 21, 2020, 4:16 pm
Michael Andretti's driver lineup is locked and loaded for May. Now he's added 2016 Indianapolis 500 pole winner James Hinchcliffe to the roster. Andretti Autosport's team owner announced Wednesday that Hinchcliffe will drive the No. 29 Honda for three races this season - the two in Indy and a June race at Texas Motor Speedway with the potential for more opportunities in the future.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: February 19, 2020, 7:08 pm
James Hinchcliffe will return to Andretti Autosport to contest at least three IndyCar rounds this season, including the Indianapolis 500, after being dropped by Arrow McLaren SP last October
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 19, 2020, 3:54 pm
IndyCar owner Roger Penske has announced the prize fund for the Indianapolis 500 will rise by $2million, and that the controversial guaranteed starting spots concept will not be adopted
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 15, 2020, 10:13 am
Penske's two-time Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin will take part in IndyCar's oval rookie test at Texas on Friday
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 13, 2020, 12:47 pm
IndyCar was supposed to have two full days of preseason testing this week for drivers and teams to get all the data, feel and confidence they could with the new aeroscreens installed on the cars for the upcoming season. The chilly, damp weather that settled over the Circuit of the Americas wiped out much of IndyCar's only open testing sessions scheduled ahead of the March 15 season opener in St. Petersburg, Florida. When temperatures finally rose above 50 degrees (10 celsius) Wednesday afternoon, teams scrambled to spin as many laps as they could.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: February 12, 2020, 10:02 pm
Penske's Will Power played down the issue of rain water leaking into his cockpit from IndyCar's new-for-2020 aeroscreen during the ongoing test at Austin
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 12, 2020, 2:34 pm
Third-generation IndyCar racer Marco Andretti hopes that returning for a second spell at Rob Wilson's renowned driving school will help him rediscover his best form
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 11, 2020, 1:53 pm
Josef Newgarden has already won two IndyCar Series championships and heads into the 2020 season chasing rare back-to-back crowns, something that hasn't happened in nearly a decade. ''No doubt,'' Newgarden said Monday as IndyCar gathered for two days of testing at the Circuit of the Americas ahead of the March 15 season opener in St. Petersburg, Florida. The 29-year-old Team Penske driver has started the Indy 500 eight times, with a third-place finish in 2016 his only time on the podium.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: February 10, 2020, 10:37 pm
IMSA sportscar champion Felipe Nasr and McLaren Formula 1 test and development driver Sergio Sette Camara will share the 31 Carlin-Chevrolet IndyCar entry in 2020
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 10, 2020, 3:19 pm
Former Formula 1 driver Max Chilton will race for Carlin at all 12 road and street courses and the Indianapolis 500 during the 2020 IndyCar season
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 7, 2020, 8:38 pm
McLaren has revealed the livery in which its cars will run in on its return to IndyCar
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 7, 2020, 4:34 pm
Team Penske's three-time IndyCar champion and four-time Indy 500 winner Rick Mears believes Supercars racer Scott McLaughlin has the talent to succeed in an IndyCar
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 6, 2020, 4:40 pm
Team Penske will give Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin a shot at IndyCar with a seat in the road course race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May. McLaughlin will also participate in next week's preseason testing at Circuit of the Americas in Texas for Team Penske in the No. 2 Dallara/Chevrolet. The two-time and defending champion of the Australian series last month tested for Penske at Sebring with Penske teammates on hand to offer assistance.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: February 5, 2020, 4:51 pm
Double Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin will make his IndyCar debut with Penske on the Indianapolis road course
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 5, 2020, 3:08 pm
Four-time Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais will contest a limited IndyCar schedule with AJ Foyt Racing in 2020, sharing a car with outgoing veteran Tony Kanaan and rookie Dalton Kellett
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 4, 2020, 8:13 pm
Arrow McLaren SP-Chevrolet co-owner Sam Schmidt says IndyCar 'deserves and needs' Fernando Alonso to contest the Indianapolis 500, after rumours suggested Honda rejected plans for Andretti Autosport to run Alonso
Author: Autosport
Posted: February 3, 2020, 1:09 pm
Former IndyCar and NASCAR racer John Andretti has died at the age of 56 after a long battle with colon cancer
Author: Autosport
Posted: January 30, 2020, 9:14 pm
Tony Kanaan will close his wildly popular IndyCar career this season on a farewell tour of oval tracks and the Indianapolis 500. The “TK Farewell Tour” was announced Thursday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where Kanaan is one of the most revered drivers in speedway history. Series officials revealed a logo to celebrate this season, which incorporates Kanaan's initials with the words “last lap” in green, yellow and white - the colors of Brazil's flag.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: January 30, 2020, 7:39 pm
One-time IndyCar champion and 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan will contest a five-round programme with AJ Foyt Racing in 2020, which will be his last season in the series
Author: Autosport
Posted: January 30, 2020, 4:00 pm
Santino Ferrucci has been promoted into the seat vacated by four-time series champion Sebastien Bourdais for the upcoming IndyCar season. Ferrucci will move at Dale Coyne Racing into the No. 18 Honda, which is fielded in conjunction with Vasser-Sullivan Racing. Bourdais had driven in some fashion for Jimmy Vasser and James Sullivan since 2014 but Coyne released him in December with one year remaining on his contract.
Author: The Associated Press
Posted: January 23, 2020, 6:02 pm
Ex-Formula 2 racer Santino Ferrucci will continue with Dale Coyne Racing for 2020 NTT IndyCar Series, and now occupies the Vasser-Sullivan entry vacated by Sebastien Bourdais
Author: Autosport
Posted: January 23, 2020, 5:31 pm

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *